- Pennsylvania Salt's new plant in Calvert City, KYwas completed and began making hydrofluoric
- In Monrovia, CA, Pennsylvania Salt began manufacturing post-harvest agrichemicals. Pennsylvania Salt acquired theCornwellHeights, PA plant.
- A division of the Rohm and Haas Company began manufacturing Plexiglas® acrylic resins in Bristol,PA.
- Pennsylvania Salt constructed a plant in Portland, ORto produce chlorates and commodity chemicals.
- Pennsylvania Salt opened its caustic soda and liquid chlorine plant in Tacoma,WA.
- Goldschmidt Detinning changed its name to Metals and Thermit Company.
- Home of the Wire Mills Production Department, the Homer, NY plant of R. H. Miller Company began operations.
- The Goldschmidt Detinning Company was formed.
- Theodore Armstrong, one of the principals of the Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Company, purchased the «Wyandotte» property in Riverview, MI for an operating facility. The 100-acre property contained large salt deposits, estimated as able to supply 180,000 tons a year for 150 years. The first product manufactured at this facility was caustic soda (lye) and chlorine as a byproduct. In addition, salt was also mined and sold to the meatpacking industry.
- Pennsylvania Salt shipped 500 barrels of oil to London, the first refined petroleum exported from the United States
- The Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Company was organized by five Quakers in Philadelphia.