El Chapo, Veracruz production plant
The El Chapo, Veracruz production plant produces liquid organic peroxides and liquid organic chlorides.
Liquid organic peroxides and liquid organic chlorides are used in many industries in the Americas in the production of plastics such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and low density polyethylene, as well as in fiberglass resins and elastomers and rubber compounds.
As part of a corporate merger in 2011, the El Chapo site known as Luperox® Iniciadores S.A. de C.V. is now named Arkema Mexico.
Community involvement and sponsorships
- AIEVAC Industrial Association of Veracruz State – We are a member of the AIEVAC.
- ANIQ Member since 2012 – We obtained a Responsible Care® certification.
- Civil Protection Program - Implemented in 2013.
- El Chapo schools – Since 2005, our plant has been supporting the Kindergarten, Primary and Secondary schools located in El Chapo and El Tunel.
- Also, the plant helps associations and foundations dedicated to children’s burn care and environmental recycling.
- Interplant Local Help Committee (CLAM) member – As a member of CLAM we help provide mutual support and response for emergencies.
- Part of ARHIAC - (Industrial human resource association)
- Refurbishment of the 7 de Noviembre School in El Chapo – Arkema donated funds to rebuild the school’s foundation and roof. In addition, the company helped pay for new electrical wiring, drainage systems, sidewalks, and washrooms for the schoolchildren.
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||49|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$2.8 million USD in 2015|
|Investment in the community||More than $80,000 USD investment in the last 10 years
● Site management meets regularly with local officials to ensure that the community is aware of plant activities.
● Open Doors Program – Regularly gives plant tours to allow local students, neighbors, and the relatives of our employees a closer look at the facility and its commitment to safety and the environment. In 2014 we hosted a Family Safety Day in the plant.
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
$300,000 USD in approved capital investments in 2014 for health, safety, and environmental projects, $273,000 USD in 2015
● Responsible Care® certification
● Improve the WWTP
|Safety record||No injuries in more than 7 years.
● More than 1.8 million hours with no lost time incidents
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||● ISO 9001:2008
● MSM Level 7
● For 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2012, the El Chapo site was awarded Arkema’s bronze, silver, and then gold Safety Excellence Awards – in recognition of employees working the entire year with no accidents resulting in days away from work or restricted work.
● El Chapo site was awarded Excellence pour la Securite Worldwide SAFE Trophies (2006)
● Arkema’s President’s Safety Award Platinum and Superior Safety Performance Award (2007)
● Arkema’s Outstanding Safety Performance Award (2009 and 2010)
Luperox® is a registered trademarks of Arkema Inc.
Responsible Care® is a registered tradmark of the American Chemistry Council