Bayport, Texas production plant
American Acryl LP is a joint venture owned by Nippon Shokubai America Industries, Inc. (“NAII”) and Arkema Inc. American Acryl manufactures acrylic acid at its Bayport, Texas facility for the benefit of its owners. NAII and Arkema have manufacturing units at the Bayport facility. The three companies work closely to maintain safe operations at the Bayport facility.
At American Acryl, acrylic acid is produced by reacting propylene (a product available from nearby petroleum refineries) with oxygen in the air under tightly controlled conditions. The plant runs year-round on a 24-hour schedule. Some of the acrylic acid is consumed onsite as a feedstock for NAII and Arkema, and some is shipped to other customers. Acrylic acid is used to manufacture numerous personal care and household items, such as hand lotion, detergent, shampoo, acrylic yarn and water-based acrylic paints.
Arkema owns a unit at the site that produces 2-ethylhexylacrylate (2EHA), which uses acrylic acid as the feedstock. NAII owns and operates a unit at the site that produces super-absorbent polymer (SAP) from acrylic acid. SAP is the absorbent material inside disposable diapers.
- Bay Area Economic Alliance
- Channel Industrial Mutual Aid (CIMA) – American Acryl coordinates with other chemical companies in the area to prepare for and respond to natural disasters or accidents.
- Community Advisory Panel (SEACAP) – Local Bayport chemical companies work together with local area residents and businesses to provide education about our safety programs, answer questions and address concerns on a monthly basis.
- East Harris County Manufacturing Association (EHCMA) – An association of local businesses cooperate to improve emergency communications and community relations.
- Houston Area Economic Alliance
- Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) – American Acryl works closely with local first responders to prepare for and respond to emergencies.
- Pasadena Chamber of Commerce
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Armand Bayou Nature Center
- Baytown Softball Association – Team Sponsor
- City of Pasadena DARE® Sponsor
- Collections for:
- Food for Pasadena Community Ministries
- Goods for Sarah’s House® in Pasadena
- Dayton Softball Team Sponsor for Nationals Tournament
- El Jardin Bayfest
- Kids of LaPorte After School (KLAS) Program
- Pasadena Annual Fire Prevention Festival
- Pasadena Chamber of Commerce Taste of the Town
- Pasadena Education Foundation – McDonald’s® Restaurant Basketball Invitational and Shining Stars Gala
- Pasadena Livestock Show and Rodeo
- Seabrook Rotary Gumbo Geaux Geaux and Catfish Fry
- Trash Bash
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||68|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||~ $13.4 Million in 2015|
|Investment in the community||$10,000 investment in 2015
● Sponsorships and donations to local charities
|Investment in health, environment and safety||$1.43 Million in capital investments in 2015 related to improvements in health, safety, and environmental|
● Employees have had no lost time in the history of the plant
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● Arkema Presidential Site Safety Award (500,000 man-hours without injury)
NA Industries, Inc. engages in the manufacture and sale of super absorbent polymers for baby diapers, water soluble polymers for detergents and polymers for concrete admixture. It also provides technical liaison and business development solutions. The company was founded in 1988 and was originally based in Chattanooga, Tennessee. In June 2012, NAII relocated its super absorbent polymer operation and its NAII corporate offices to the Houston area at a site next to the American Acryl plant. NA Industries, Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Nippon Shokubai Co. Ltd.
McDonald’s is a registered trademark of McDonald’s Corporation. Sarah’s House is a registered trademark of SRH Productions, Inc. D.A.R.E. is a registered trademark of D.A.R.E. Corporation.
Last updated: December 8, 2015