Beaumont, Texas production plant
The Beaumont, TX plant produces methyl mercaptan, ethyl mercaptan, dimethyl sulfide (DMS) and methylmercapto-proprionaldehyde (MMP). Beaumont is celebrating its 40 year anniversary in 2016!
Our products are key ingredients in the manufacture of biodegradable herbicides, pesticides and animal feed supplements. These products are also used in the production of pharmaceuticals, photographic chemicals and circuit boards.
Ethyl mercaptan is primarily used as an odorizer for propane gas, sold through Odor-Tech, an Arkema group company. The strong odor that ethyl mercaptan adds to propane makes gas leaks easier to detect, protecting homes and businesses.
MMP is used in the production of methionine, an essential amino acid and a key component of poultry, swine and ruminant (cattle, sheep, etc.) feed.
- American Chemistry Council (ACC) and Texas Chemical Council member – We are committed to ACC’s Responsible Care® initiative. The Arkema E3 (Enhancing Environmental Excellence) program, instituted at Arkema facilities, is geared to the reduction of chemical residuals and waste. Since 1996, the Beaumont plant has implemented innovative waste reduction projects that resulted in nearly 90% reduction of waste.
- Community advisory team – We are part of a group of local citizens (neighborhood leaders, local environment agency representative, and environmental activists) who help Arkema maintain communications with the businesses and residents in our area. This group meets quarterly and guests are always welcome. Arkema also participates as part of the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).
- Education support – We partner with Lamar Institute of Technology by hosting interns for hands-on training (operations, instrument and electrical technicians).
- Southeast Texas Alerting Network (STAN) – We work to enhance public communications and response with Hardin, Jefferson and Orange counties. Participating southeast Texas plants are committed to providing open and honest communications to the public, with the primary goal of placing informative messages on the Southeast Texas Alerting Network line within the first fifteen minutes of an emergency or high profile event.
- Southeast Texas Regional Planning Commission – We work on regional air quality issues as an industrial group sponsored by the regional planning commission.
- Southeast Texas Plant Managers – Actively participate in monthly meetings with other area plant managers.
Beaumont Sponsors YMBL Auction
Arkema’s Beaumont, TX site, whose Thiochemicals business is tied to animal nutrition, showed its commitment and support for the local Beaumont community by sponsoring the Young Men’s Business League (YMBL) Youth auction events at the South Texas State Fair, as well as purchasing 3 winning birds - the Grand Champion Broiler and the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Roasters. The YMBL, currently celebrating its 99th year, was established with a goal of improving the general welfare of the community and working to enhance the agricultural and commercial resources of the area. Congratulations to all the 2016 winners!
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Beaumont Chamber of Commerce
- Beaumont I.S.D. Foundation
- Beaumont Main Street
- India cultural event - Sponsor
- Lamar University - Engineering career development
- Life Share Blood Center
- Local Emergency Planning Committee
- Sabine Neches Chiefs
- Some Other Place (Non-profit mission)
- St. Elizabeth Hospital Foundation
- Trinity Neches Livestock
- Young Men's Business League
Key Figures for 2015
|# of employees||116|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility /property taxes paid annually)||>$29 Million in 2015|
|Investment in the community||
>$30,000 investment in 2015
● Quarterly CAP meetings
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
>$10 Million investment in 2015
● Recertified in 2014 as OSHA Voluntary Protection Program Star Site – the Beaumont plant has been lauded with OSHA’s highest rating
|Safety record||No injuries in the last 5+ years that led to lost work time|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● OSHA VPP Star Site
● RCMS certified
● Texas general land office oil spill prevention and response discharge prevention and response certificate
Responsible Care® is a registered trademark of the American Chemistry CouncilLast updated: December 10, 2015