Beaumont, Texas production plant
The Beaumont, TX plant produces methyl mercaptan, ethyl mercaptan, dimethyl sulfide (DMS) and methylmercapto-proprionaldehyde (MMP).
Our products are key ingredients in the manufacture of biodegradable herbicides, pesticides and animal feed supplements. These products are also used in the production of pharmaceuticals, photographic chemicals and circuit boards. Ethyl mercaptan is primarily used as an odorizer for propane gas. The strong odor that ethyl mercaptan adds to propane makes gas leaks easier to detect, protecting homes and businesses. MMP is used in the production of methionine, an essential amino acid and a key component of poultry, swine and ruminant (cattle, sheep, etc.) feed.
- Community advisory team – We are part of a group of local citizens (neighborhood leaders, stay at home moms, and environmental activists) who help Arkema maintain communications with the businesses and residents in our area. This group meets monthly and guests are always welcome. Arkema also participates as part of the Community Action and Emergency Response (CAER) team and the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).
- Education support – We partner with the Texas education agency to support Jefferson/Orange/Chambers Counties in their continuing education programs for area teachers. We sponsor several workshops a year that bring new ideas and projects to enhance the participating teachers’ lesson plans and generate interest in science and engineering.
- Southeast Texas Alerting Network (STAN) – We work to enhance public communications and response with Hardin, Jefferson and Orange counties. Participating southeast Texas plants are committed to providing open and honest communications to the public, with the primary goal of placing informative messages on the Southeast Texas Alerting Network line within the first fifteen minutes of an emergency or high profile event.
- American Chemistry Council (ACC) and Texas chemical council member– We are committed to ACC’s Responsible Care® initiative. The Arkema E3 (enhancing environmental excellence) program, instituted at Arkema facilities, is geared to the reduction of chemical residuals and waste. Since 1996, the Beaumont plant has implemented innovative waste reduction projects that resulted in nearly 90% reduction of waste.
- Take yourself and loved one to the doctor day – We are one of the participating sponsors of the county commissioner program designed to encourage people in the local community to get an annual physical (free of charge).
- Southeast Texas regional planning commission – We work on regional air quality issues as an industrial group sponsored by the regional planning commission.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- American cancer society
- Beaumont main street - restoration of the downtown area
- Pop Warner Port Arthur cowgirl cheer and dance team
- Beaumont chamber of commerce – Youth Leadership Program
- Operation graduation at local schools
- Life Share blood center
- Young men’s business league
- Beaumont school foundation
- Lamar University football
- Alzheimer’s Association
Key Figures for 2012
|# of employees||115|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility /property taxes paid annually)||>$ 25 Million in 2012|
|Investment in the community||
>$ 34,000 investment in 2012
● Quartlery CAP meetings
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
> $3 Million investment in 2012
Prior to 2012:
|Safety record||No injuries in the last year that led to lost work time|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● OHSAS 18001
● ISO 9001:2008
Responsible Care® is a registered trademark of the American Chemistry CouncilLast updated: December 12, 2012