Blooming Prairie, Minnesota production plant
The Blooming Prairie, MN plant produces more than two dozen finished products. Many of these products are green, sustainable and support the local economy by utilizing soybean oil from Midwest growers.
Our finished products are made using soybean, linseed, and other natural vegetable oils, as well as olefinic oils. A process called epoxidation causes changes in the physical appearance and chemical properties of such oils, making them suitable for a variety of industrial uses.
Epoxidized soybean and linseed oil are primarily used for imparting flexibility, strength and ultraviolet stability to polyvinyl chloride resin formulations. We also produce other specialty epoxides, which are used in lubricating oil formulations, plastic formulations, and the cosmetic industry. Our products allow our customers to produce goods that are common in daily use, such as food wrap, medical products, furniture, automobile interiors, floor tile, and jar cap liners. Visit our dedicated website at www.arkemaepoxides.com for more information.
- Arkema Inc. Science Teacher Program – Each year, 6-8 teachers from three or four different local elementary schools spend a week at the Blooming Prairie plant to learn new hands-on science activities and receive materials to take back to the classroom. Since 2000, we have sponsored 96 teachers from dozens of local schools.
- Blooming Prairie community programs – Contributions are made annually to support local cultural events, charitable causes, the fire department, food assistance programs and the library.
- Blooming Prairie school programs – Contributions are made annually to provide materials and enrichment experiences for elementary and high school students.
- Blooming Praire youth programs – Contributions are made annually to provide youth after-school and summer programs (Boys and Girls Club).
- Citizen's Advisory Cap (CAP) – The CAP provides an open dialogue regarding our activities and accomplishments at the site. It is open to all and includes participation of local high school students as part of their classwork.
- Minnesota's Adopt-a-Highway Program – Employees engage in picking up litter along a stretch of state highway near our facility in both the Spring and Fall.
- Science & Engineering scholarship – Each year a high school senior pursuing a degree in engineering or science is chosen from Blooming Prairie High School applicants to receive a $4,000 scholarship.
Blooming Prairie Awards Scholarship to Local High School Student
Each year, Arkema's Blooming Prairie plant presents a scholarship award to a qualifying graduating senior from the Blooming Prairie High School in the amount of $4,000. This year, Plant Manager, David Price presented the award to Kevin Eischens of the 2016 graduating class. One half ($2,000) of the award is given during graduation followed by the remaining balance ($2,000) after successful completion of the first college year with the intention of enrolling for a second year. This award is designed to encourage graduating seniors to enter selected fields of science or engineering.
Local associations / Events we sponsors
- The Blooming Prairie Cancer Group's Turkey Bingo
- The Blooming Prairie Chamber of Commerce
- The Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
- The Minnesota Safety Council
- The Steele County Safety Council
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||45|
|Local economic impact
||~$3.6 Million in 2015
● Utility fees
● Property taxes
● Expenditures with local vendors
|Investment in the community||$13,000 investment in 2015
● Community programs
● School programs
● Community youth programs
|Investment in health, environment and safety||$200,000 in approved capital investments in 2015 for health, safety, and environmental projects
● We work cooperatively with the Steele County Emergency Management and Safety Councils to help maintain and improve our site safety programs, including an ongoing program for monitoring and testing our workplace and the environment for exposure to chemicals.
● In conjunction with this effort, many employees receive a thorough physical examination once each year.● Storage tank improvements
|Safety record||No injuries in the last 6+ years that led to lost work time|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● ISO 9001:2008 Certified Quality Management System
● 2010 American Chemistry Council Responsible Care® Certificate of Achievement for the prevention of occupational injuries and illnesses
● 2011 American Chemistry Council Responsible Care® Certificate of Excellence for the prevention of occupational injuries and illnesses
Responsible Care® is a registered trademark of American Chemistry Council