Blooming Prairie, Minnesota production plant
The Blooming Prairie, MN plant produces more than two dozen finished products. Many of these products are green, sustainable and support the local economy by utilizing soybean oil from Midwest growers.
Our finished products are made using soybean, linseed, and other natural vegetable oils as well as olefinic oils. A process called epoxidation causes changes in the physical appearance and chemical properties of such oils, making them suitable for a variety of industrial uses.
Epoxidized soybean and linseed oil are primarily used for imparting flexibility, strength and ultraviolet stability to polyvinyl chloride resin formulations. We also produce other specialty epoxides, which are used in lubricating oil formulations, plastic formulations, and the cosmetic industry. Our products allow our customers to produce goods that are common in daily use, such as food wrap, medical products, furniture, automobile interiors, floor tile, and jar cap liners.
- Science teacher program – Arkema hosts an annual innovative, hands-on science teacher program. Each year, eight teachers from four different local elementary schools spend a week at the Blooming Prairie plant to learn new hands-on science activities and receive materials to take back to the classroom. Since 2000, we have sponsored 80 techers from dozens of local schools.
- Citizen's Advisory Cap (CAP) – The CAP provides an open dialogue regarding our activities and accomplishments at the site. It is open to all and includes participation of local high school students as part of their classwork.
- Minnesota's Adopt-a-Highway Program – Employees engage in picking up litter along a stretch of state highway near our facility.
- Blooming Prairie school programs – Contributions are made annually to provide materials and enrichment experiences for elementary and high school students.
- Blooming Praire youth programs – Contributions are made annually to provide youth after-school and summer programs.
- Blooming Prairie community programs – Contributions are made annually to support local cultural events, charitable causes, the fire department, food assistance programs, and the library.
- Science & Engineering scholarship – Each year a high school senior pursuing a degree in engineering or science is chosen from Blooming Prairie High School applicants to receive a $4,000 scholarship.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- The Blooming Prairie Chamber of Commerce
- The Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
- The Minnesota Safety Council
Key figures for 2012
|# of employees||46|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$ 3,645,000 in 2012
● utility fees
● property taxes
● expenditures with local vendors
|Investment in the community||$ 12,000 investment in 2012
● Community programs
● School programs
● Community youth programs
|Investment in health, environment and safety||$ 124,000 in approved capital investments in 2011 for health, safety, and environmental projects
● We work cooperatively with the Steele County Emergency Management and Safety Councils to help maintain and improve our site safety programs, including an ongoing program for monitoring and testing our workplace and the environment for exposure to chemicals. In conjunction with this effort, every employee receives a thorough physical examination once each year.
● Working collaboratively with the University of Minnesota Workplace Wellness Improvement Project
|Safety record||No injuries in the last 3+ years that led to lost work time|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● ISO 9001:2008 Certified Quality Management System
● 2011 American Chemistry Council Responsible Care® Certificate of Excellence for the prevention of occupational injuries and illnesses
Responsible Care® is a registered trademark of American Chemistry Council