Bristol, Pennsylvania production plant
The Bristol, PA plant manufactures a variety of acrylic molding resins with properties such as impact resistance and exceptional optics.
We make different colors of resin and even produce grades that resist discoloration caused by gamma radiation. Our V-series grades are the standard in the industry, with a variety of melt flow and heat resistant products from which to choose. Our impact modified resins offer 7 to 10 times the impact strength of standard acrylic, while maintaining excellent optical properties.
The resin is used in lighting applications, tail light lenses and other molded parts and decorative items that are all around us. From faucet handles to display cases, our resins are an outstanding raw material. Our products are marketed as Plexiglas® acrylic sheet in North America and Latin America, and Altuglas® acrylic sheet throughout the rest of the world.
As part of an effort to create awareness of Earth's changing climate and increasing environmental issues, Arkema partnered with the French Minister of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy, as well as French street artist Gad Well, donating 15 tons of recyclable Altuglas® material (The European trademark for Plexiglas®, which is proudly manufactured at Arkema's Bristol, PA site) for the creation of 140 animals. As part of the "Climate Noah's Ark," the animals are traveling through France, bringing awareness to climate issues and discussions held at the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP21).
- Bristol Cultural and Historical Foundation – We sponsor both the Historic Bristol Day and First Night.
- Bristol Riverside Theater – We sponsor the BRT Summer Eduction Program, which works with local children in a theater environment to help develop life skills such as communication and impulse control. Many of the children in the program are at-risk.
- Bucks County Chamber of Commerce – We are a member and participate in leadership teams.
- Community Advisory Council (CAP) – We are a member with other representatives of various segments of the local community, including civic activists, students, church leaders, and local and regional officials, who meet monthly to discuss issues of concern to the community. The meetings provide a sounding board for our neighbors to voice their concerns, as well as an opportunity to learn more about the Bristol plant and its operations.
- Science Teacher Program - Provide four teachers from two area schools with a hands-on science kit. Our technical personnel work with the teachers for one week during the summer break. At the end of the week, the teachers take the kits and insight from the mentorship back to their school for use in the Fall curriculum.
Bristol Blood Drive
Yet another successful blood drive! Arkema’s Bristol, PA plant held a mobile blood drive along with their neighbor, Dow Chemical, in an effort to support the American Red Cross. Twenty-five supporters donated blood on site to help save a life. A special thanks to all who participated! Every drop counts.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||90 in the plant
30+ in the business center
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$11 Million 2015|
|Investment in the community||~$25,000 in 2015
● The Bristol plant provides support to organizations. In many cases our employee's also donate their personal time to the organization.
|Investment in health, environment and safety||~$2M investment in 2015
● Storage tank project to improve safety handling
● Participate in the OSHA Voluntary Protection Program – A team of employees from every level monitors and promotes improvements in 19 categories from inspections and training to emergency drills and protective equipment
● Routinely evaluate our ongoing operations and try to identify and address safety concerns before an incident happens. Our employees regularly receive safety and environmental training, and our mechanical work is routinely preceded by a safety review
● Participate in the Responsible Care® initiative launched by the American Chemistry Council (ACC) – to improve the chemical industry's health, safety and environmental performance
● Supporter of the Arkema E3 (Enhancing Environmental Excellence) program – cited by Arkema for our acrylic recycling efforts
|Safety record||No injuries in the last 8 years that led to lost work time.|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||● ISO 9001:2000
● ISRS Level 8 quality safety management certification
Plexiglas® and Altuglas® are registered trademarks of Arkema
United Way is a registered trademark of the United Way of America