Calvert City, Kentucky production plant
The Calvert City, KY plant produces a number of chemically-based products that are used to improve daily life, from enabling safe, efficient food storage to contributing to lightweight materials that conserve energy and improve safety.
Our Kynar® PVDF resin is a tough plastic coating used as wire insulation and on the exterior of many buildings. Kynar® PVDF resin is also used in high performance piping systems including ultra pure water systems which in turn are used in the manufacturing of computer chips. This year, Kynar® is celebrating 50 years!
The Forane® refrigerants we produce are used as coolant in air conditioners and refrigeration equipment. They are also used in insulation for transportation, appliances and construction.
We also manufacture hydrochloric acid, which is used for refining ore, pickling and cleaning metal products, electroplating, removing scale from boilers, as a catalyst and solvent in organic syntheses, in the manufacture of fertilizers and dyes, for hydrolyzing starch and proteins in the preparation of various food products, and in the photographic, textile, and rubber industries.
- Calvert City Industrial Mutual Aid Program – In coordination with other chemical companies in the area. Designed to prepare for, and respond to, natural disasters or accidents.
- Good Neighbor Night – An annual open house where we address neighbors' questions concerning our plant operations and environmental and safety performance. This event helps provide an open dialogue between plant neighbors and our employees.
- Community Advisory Team – A facilitator conducts monthly meetings of the group, which is comprised of a cross-section of local residents and industry representatives, including other chemical plants in the Calvert City area. The Community Advisory Team helps increase dialogue between the community and industry, provides an avenue for information sharing and helps us identify and respond to community concerns. Through regular meetings and activities such as plant tours, we are able to regularly educate and update the community on plant activities of interest.
- Science Teacher Program – Arkema’s Calvert City plant hosts an annual innovative, hands-on science teacher program equipping elementary teachers from area schools with new methods of stimulating scientific interest for their students. Teachers are selected to participate with plant staff in a three-day mentor program utilizing science kits on a variety of subjects for use in grades 3, 4, 5 and 6. In addition to the kits, each teacher receives a stipend, and each participating school receives an Arkema donation for science education.
Science Teacher Program 2015
Arkema’s Calvert City, KY plant kicked off Arkema’s annual Science Teacher Program in the Americas with teachers from several local schools. Since 1996, the program has purchased hundreds of science kits for elementary and secondary schools and provided the expertise of research scientists, who work side-by-side with local teachers in developing engaging, hands-on curriculum.
For the 2015 program, Arkema’s Calvert City, KY scientists worked with science teachers from Morgan Elementary, Heath Middle School and Sharpe Elementary on energy and electromagnetism, motion and design and land and water science kits. Read more about the Science Teacher Program here http://ark.ma/ScienceTeacher.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Paducah area and Marshall County Chambers of Commerce
- Calvert Area United Fund
- Local food banks
- Marshall County Exceptional School
- Junior achievement
50 years of Kynar 500® resin-based coatings
Calvert City is a hub for Kynar 500® PVDF resin manufacturing and a key ingredient of its success over the product's 50 year history. This anniversary is being commemorated all this year through a variety of activities. Visit our anniversary page and join the celebration!
Key figures for 2014
|# of employees||260|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$ 40 Million in 2014|
|Investment in the community||$ 18 Million spent with local vendors / suppliers in 2014
● 1,600 neighbors attended during the last Good Neighbor Night.
● 30 member emergency response team on site.
● Automatic telephone notification system is configured to notify neighbors of any emergency situation.
|Investment in health, environment and safety||Over $3.9 million in approved capital investments in 2014 for health, safety, and environmental projects:
● purchased additional safety and environmental equipment
● process upgrades
● new technology
|Safety record||Two recordable injury in four years and more than 2.8 million hours worked without a lost time injury.|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality|
Kynar® and Forane® are registered trademarks of Arkema Inc.