Calvert City, Kentucky production plant
The Calvert City, KY plant produces items used in a number of products that are used daily.
Our Kynar® PVDF resin is a tough plastic coating used as wire insulation and on the exterior of many buildings. Kynar® PVDF resin is also used in high performance piping systems including ultra pure water systems which in turn are used in the manufacturing of computer chips.
The Forane® refrigerants we produce are used as coolant in air conditioners and refrigeration equipment. They are also used in insulation for transportation, appliances and construction.
We also manufacture hydrochloric acid, which is used for refining ore, pickling and cleaning metal products, electroplating, removing scale from boilers, as a catalyst and solvent in organic syntheses, in the manufacture of fertilizers and dyes, for hydrolyzing starch and proteins in the preparation of various food products, and in the photographic, textile, and rubber industries.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Paducah area and Marshall County Chambers of Commerce
- Calvert Area United Fund
- Local food banks
- Marshall County Exceptional School
- The American Cancer Society
- The arts
Congressman Ed Whitfield visits Calvert City
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
The Calvert City facility hosted a visit over the summer with Congressman Ed Whitfield (R-KY).
Congressman Whitfield held a discussion with plant employees on a range of topics of importance to Arkema and the chemical manufacturing industry. During his visit, Congressman Whitfield enjoyed looking at the facility’s history displays that are featured in the main plant office building - the facility dates back to the late 1940’s and has been a very important member of the local community throughout its history.
At the end of his visit, Congressman Whitfield spoke briefly to Calvert City employees and answered questions on a range of issues from EPA regulations to tax reform to healthcare. Arkema and Calvert City look forward to continuing to work closely with Congressman Whitfield and his staff on a variety of issues going forward.
- Calvert City Industrial Mutual Aid Program – In coordination with other chemical companies in the area. Designed to prepare for, and respond to, natural disasters or accidents.
- Good Neighbor Night – An annual open house where we address neighbors' questions concerning our plant operations and environmental and safety performance. This event helps provide an open dialogue between plant neighbors and our employees.
- Community Advisory Team – A facilitator conducts monthly meetings of the group, which is comprised of a cross-section of local residents and industry representatives, including other chemical plants in the Calvert City area. The Community Advisory Team helps increase dialogue between the community and industry, provides an avenue for information sharing and helps us identify and respond to community concerns. Through regular meetings and activities such as plant tours, we are able to regularly educate and update the community on plant activities of interest.
- Science Teacher Program – Arkema’s Calvert City plant hosts an annual innovative, hands-on science teacher program equipping elementary teachers from area schools with new methods of stimulating scientific interest for their students. Teachers are selected to participate with plant staff in a three-day mentor program utilizing science kits on a variety of subjects for use in grades 3, 4, 5 and 6. In addition to the kits, each teacher receives a stipend, and each participating school receives an Arkema donation for science education.
Key figures for 2012
|# of employees||270|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$ 40 million in 2012|
|Investment in the community||$ 22 million investment in 2012
● 1,250 neighbors attended during the last Good Neighbor Night.
● 31 member emergency response team on site.
● Automatic telephone notification system is configured to notify neighbors of any emergency situation.
|Investment in health, environment and safety||Over $ 3.3 million in approved capital investments in 2012 for health, safety, and environmental projects:
● purchased additional safety and environmental equipment
● process upgrades
● new technology
|Safety record||No injuries in more than 2 years and more than 1.4 million hours worked|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||● ISO 14001 and ISO 9001
● ISRS Level 8
● KY EXCEL Master Level (environmental excellence program)
Kynar® and Forane® are registered trademarks of Arkema Inc.