Chatham, Virginia production plant
A division of Arkema Inc., Sartomer’s Chatham, VA site produces specialty acrylate and methacrylate monomers and oligomers.
These monomers and oligomers are used by other manufacturers in the following applications:
- Graphic arts
- Adhesives and sealants
- Advanced materials
- Chemical intermediates
- Personal care
Visit the Sartomer Americas website for more information.
- A.L. Philpott Manufacturing Extension Partnership (doing business as) Genedge Alliance – On Board of Trustees.
- Community Advisory Panel (CAP) – This group was established to give residents a voice. As a CAP member, we meet annually to answer questions, offer suggestions, and talk about issues that are important to our stakeholders and the community.
- Danville-Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce – Active participants.
- Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) – We are member providing technical expertise.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Chatham Sartomer 5K race main sponsor - Benefits community emergency response agencies, including the Chatham Volunteer Fire Department, Chatham Rescue Squad, and American Red Cross
- Employee-initiated donation request program
- Graduate of Merit Award Sponsor – Pittsylvania County school program
- Newspapers in Education - Main sponsor
- Science Teacher Program
- SOVA Youth Career Expo - Participant - Promoting careers in science
- Summer intern program
- Tunstall High School – FIRST Robotics Team sponsorship
- United Way®
Chatham Sponsors FRC Robotics Team 5950
Sartomer’s Chatham, VA site is a proud sponsor of local FIRST® Robotics Competition (FRC) Team 5950 from Tunstall High School. Students in grades 9 – 12 go head-to-head on a playing field, competing against other students with robots they have designed and programmed. Team 5950 was founded in 2015 and is led by teachers Edward Sherlock and Jessica Jones. This is the first year the school has completed in the FRC division. Supporting the team on their journey, neighboring high school Martinsville’s STAGS Team 1262 is helping educate the team on what it takes to compete in the FRC.
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||54|
|Local economic impact (sewer/natural gas/electricity/water utilities and property taxes paid annually)||$1.7 million in 2015|
|Investment in the community||
$11,000 investment in 2015
● Career Expo participant for grades 7 and 9
|Investment in health, environment and safety||$380,000 in approved capital investments in 2015 for health, safety, and environmental projects
● Utilizes an integrated computer-based technology for process monitoring and control
● In-house Emergency Response Team (ERT) and all operating shifts have ERT-trained employees
● Hazardous waste operations emergency response (HAZWOPER) trained employees
● Confined space rescue trained employees
● Personnel trained in First Aid, CPR, and AED (Automated External Defibrillation)
● Member of CHEMTREC® (Chemical Transportation Emergency Center)
|Safety record||No injuries in the last 9 years that led to lost work time. More than 2 years since last serious injury.|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● OHSAS 18001
Chemtrec® is a registered trademark of American Chemistry Council