Chester, South Carolina production plant
The Chester, SC plant produces 20+ water-based rheology additives (dispersants, acrylate thickeners and polyurethane thickeners).
These products include:
- RheotechTM 3800 thickener brings optimal in-can appearance and tinting synergy. During application, paints made with RheotechTM exhibit improved flow and leveling, spatter resistance, and film build.
- EcodisTM P30 is a dispersing agent for flat to semi-gloss paint. Properties include longer shelf life and optimized optical efficiency for sustainable formulating. It provides the lowest grinding time for solids in medium to high volumetric pigment concentration.
The Chester plant also distributes polyurethane thickeners for its sister companies. Visit the Coatex website for more information.
The Chester plant began operations in 1998, with one sales and markeing office on site for the NAFTA region and one application laboratory for technical support. Chester currently has 52 employees.
The facility is located 49 miles (79 kms) from Charlotte, NC.
Our commitment to safety and the environment
Safety remains our utmost priority. The facility is also committed to complying with all regulations and standards related to environmental protection and pollution prevention. In 2011, we initiated a new "NG" product line to replace 60% of our products with greener options. To accomplish this, we added a thermal oxidizer to destroy 99.999% of harmful emissions. The new process uses a new proprietary molecule to replace VOC used in previous manufacturing process. The facility is highly automated for safety. All finished products we produce are non-hazardous.
South Carolina Disaster Relief
Recently hit with one of the largest tragedies in its history, South Carolina saw widespread flooding, power outages and lack of clean water due to 4.4 Trillion gallons of rainwater received throughout the state. Employees at Arkema’s Coatex site in Chester, SC pulled together to hold a bottled water drive, collecting approximately 65 cases of water to donate to affected areas. Four Coatex employees also volunteered their time for hands-on relief efforts in Columbia, SC.
Community involvement / Local associations / Events we sponsor
The Chester site is regularly engaged in and provides donations to support activities in the commuity and area schools:
- Disaster Relief - Four (4) employees participated in disaster relief in Columbia, SC to help clean and remove debris from homes affected in the 2015 South Carolina flood. A pallet (65 cases) of bottled water was also donated to the Chester County Emergency Management System to be delivered to Columbia, SC for flood victims.
- Chester Thanksgiving Project - We assist 400 local needy families by contributing food for their Thanksgiving dinner.
- Food Pantry - Collection of goods to donate to the local food bank.
- LEPC - Sponsored and provided refreshments for the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).
- Monthly HR Round Table Meetings with other local manufacturing plants.
- Toys for Tots – We collect new toys for the US Marines’ “Toys for Tots” program during the month of December.
- Volunteerism - Plant volunteers in fundraising activities and education programs for local schools as well as breast cancer awareness (sponsored a team for the 5K Chester Hillarity) and Special Olympics.
Key Figures for 2015
|# of employees||52|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$8.2 million in 2015|
|Investment in the community||$3.5 million investment in 2015
● Hired local contractors and purchased equipment to make plant capacity modifications to piping and added additional tanks and a new warehouse building
|Investment in health, environment and safety||$125,000 in invested capital projects in 2015 for health, safety, and environment|
|Safety record||● 8+ years with no lost time injuries|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● ISO 14001:2014
Last updated: December 2, 2015