Clear Lake, Texas production plant and Acrylics headquarters
The Clear Lake, TX site is both the production site and North American headquarters for Arkema’s Acrylics business.
Arkema Inc. owns and operates the Clear Lake facility in the Pasadena Industrial District. The plant manufactures two products: (1) acrylic acid and (2) butyl acrylate.
The acrylic acid manufacturing unit makes acrylic acid using a process that reacts propylene (petroleum gas) with oxygen (air) to produce acrylic acid. The plant runs year-round on a 24-hour schedule.
The butyl acrylate manufacturing unit makes butyl acrylate using a process that combines acrylic acid with butanol (butyl alcohol) to produce butyl acrylate.
Acrylic acid and butyl acrylate are widely used in the manufacture of personal care and household products including such items as disposable diapers, hand lotion, detergent, shampoo, acrylic yarn and water-based acrylic coatings, and water treatment chemicals in the preparation of various food products, and in the photographic, textile, and rubber industries.
- Industrial Mutual Aid Program –We participate in the Chemical Industry Mutual Aid (CIMA) in coordination with other chemical companies in the area (East Harris County Manufacturing Association), which was designed to help each other prepare for and respond to natural disasters or accidents. A pager system is utilized to notify all chemical companies in the area when there has been an emergency so they can help respond quickly if needed.
- Bay Community Advisory Panel (CAP) – All local Bayport chemical companies work together in an open environment with local area residents to educate them on our safety programs, answer questions and address concerns on a monthly basis.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Pasadena Livestock Show and Rodeo BBQ Cook-off
- Holidays for the Troops Overseas Gifts
- Teddy Bears for Texas Children’s Hospital
- Habitat for Humanity
- Trash Bash for local bayous and waterways
- Armand Bayou Nature Center
- Collect food and supplies for Harris County animal shelter
- United Way®
Key figures for 2012
|# of employees||109|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||~$ 40 million in 2012|
|Investment in the community||~ $30,000 investment in 2012
● Employee United Way® contributions
● Volunteer hours
● Contributions to other local events and charities
● Care packages for overseas service men and women (Holiday for Heroes)
|Investment in growth at the site||Investment plan in the Acrylics business announced in 2010
● Projects underway for target operation in 2013
● $ 110 million investment plan
|Investment in health, environment and safety||~$ 2 million in approved capital investments in 2012 for health, safety, and environmental projects
● Automated process safety shut down systems
● Fire fighting capabilities
● Process safety improvements
|Safety record||● More than one million and a half hours since the last recordable injury
● More than 8 years since the last lost time injury
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||● ISO 9001:2008
● Various customer and supplier awards
● Arkema President Star Safety Award – in recognition of personal commitment to safety
|United Way® is a registered trademark of United Way® of America
Last updated: November 15, 2012