Crosby, Texas production plant
The Crosby, TX plant produces liquid organic peroxides that are used primarily in the production of plastic resins, polystyrene, polyethylene, polypropylene, PVC and polyester reinforced fiberglass, and acrylic resins.
Many consumer products that we use everyday, ranging from automobiles and food packaging, to health and cleaning products, owe their beginnings to organic peroxides. Here are some examples:
- Solid surface countertops
- Acrylic-based paints and coatings for automotive, industrial and architectural applications
- Key components in the enhancement of hoses, gaskets, and headlights assemblies for the automotive industry
- Expandable polystyrene cups and plates
- PVC for pipes, packaging, siding
Visit the Luperox® product website for more information.
- Crosby Volunteer Fire Department – We host annual drills in coordination with the local fire department and emergency medical team to coordinate likely interaction in the event of an emergency. We also pay for local fire department to attend fire training with plant emergency team.
- CAER Line – Neighbors of the plant are encouraged to call the CAER line for information about emergency response incidents in the facilities or off-site incidents that may impact the community. East Harris County Manufacturers Association (ECHMA) established the Community Awareness and Emergency Response line (CAER Line) in 1986 as a free public service. Arkema is one of more than 125 manufacturing companies in the East Harris County area that belong to the organization. The CAER Line is a source of up to the minute information about emergency response actions that are underway, involving an explosion, fire, or chemical release producing smoke, fumes, odors or noise that the public can see, smell, or hear, or may require public protective actions (such as evacuation or shelter-in-place).
- Arkema also utilizes, EMerge Systems, a web based multi-media communication tool used to communicate plant emergencies to local authorities. Activation occurs via a 24-hour manned website. Harris County Homeland Security and Emergency Management coordinates community notification in the event of a plant emergency that may affect our neighbors. EMerge Systems is endorsed by the North Channel Local Emergency Planning Committee (NC LEPC).
Jump Rope For Heart
Arkema’s Crosby, Texas site partnered with the local Barrett Primary School to help support its “Jump Rope for Heart” event, which raised money for the American Heart Association®. Donations will help children who are born with “special hearts” live a happier, healthier lifestyle. The Crosby site donated juice and cookies for over 800 students to help them fuel up and cool off in between jump rope contests.
To learn more about Jump Rope for Heart, click here.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Crosby/Huffman Chamber of Commerce
- Texas Chemical Council
- East Harris County Manufacturer's Association (EHCMA)
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||57|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility /property taxes paid annually)||More than $5 million in 2015|
|Investment in health, environment and safety||$700,000 in approved capital investments in 2015 for health, safety, and environmental projects
● Crosby plant’s control room is isolated from the process facility and equipped with remote cameras, high level shut off for storage tanks, restricted process access, reactor and wash tank auto deluge system, high temperature alarms, safety instrumented system, emergency generators for safe shut down, and redundant refrigeration system for cold storage buildings.
○ Air pollution control equipment at the Crosby plant uses state of the art technology, meeting the US EPA criteria for best available control technology (BACT) and considerably reduces emissions from the facility, allowing the plant to achieve greater than 99.5% destruction of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), while scrubbers remove 99%+ of SO2 and acid gases.
● Part of Responsible Care®, an industry-wide initiative among members of the American Chemistry Council to demonstrate continuing commitment to health, safety and the environment.
○ Created an innovative program for customers to return empty organic peroxide containers for recycling, reducing landfill use and associated fees.
|Safety record||One lost-time injury in the last 7 years
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● OSHAS 18001
Responsible Care® is a registered trademark of American Chemistry Council
Luperox® is a registered trademark of Arkema Inc.