Geneseo, New York production plant
The Geneseo, NY plant produces liquid organic peroxides that are used primarily in the production of acrylics, elastomers, LDPE (low density polyethylene), polyesters, polystyrene and PVC (polyvinyl chloride).
Many products that we encounter daily, from automobile components to food packaging, owe their existence to the chemicals produced at the Geneseo plant.
Boats, tubs, and spas are cured by peroxides made at Geneseo. These are more commonly known by their tradename, Luperox® organic peroxide.
One of our products makes plastic furniture more easily processed into shape. Another is used in the manufacture of kitchen counter tops. Our plant also produces peroxydicarbonates used to make PVC, which is then used in turn to make many familiar products such as vinyl siding and plastic piping.
The Geneseo plant also produces a variety of benzoyl peroxides used in acne medication and polystyrene (some of which becomes expandable polystyrene).
The plant at Geneseo has been operating in this community for more than 60 years.
Visit the Luperox® organic peroxide website for more information.
Geneseo United Way Pledge Donations
Arkema’s Geneseo, New York employees raised $5,784 in pledge donations for the United Way Campaign of Livingston County—the most donations the plant has raised since 2006! As a result of their continued efforts, United Way is presenting the plant with The Good Neighbor Award, the highest award that the United Way bestows! The Geneseo plant also supports United Way by collecting and donating food items for their Backpack Program, which provides sustenance to 20 local children in need.
- Arkema Science Teacher Program – We provide summer science program workshops for local elementary science teachers, with materials and learnings used more broadly across multiple grades.
- Community Advisory Panel (CAP) – Consisting of local residents, community leaders and plant employees, the CAP serves as a forum to inform the community about Arkema and addresses any questions or concerns our neighbors may have.
- Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) – We are a charter member and have conducted plant tours and safety training with members of the local fire department and Emergency Medical Service.
- Plant tours – We offer plant tours to students, interested neighbors, and community leaders. In addition, we invite our neighbors to regular open houses.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Chamber of Commerce
- Livingston County Environmental Management Council
- Local sports and academic teams
- Rochester Business Alliance
- United Way®
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||91|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$10.6 million|
|Investment in the community||
$ 7,000 investment, including:
● Odyssey of the Mind
● York United Presbyterian Church Christmas Dinner for Families in Need
● United Way®
|Investment in health, environment and safety||● Ongoing conservation projects (including energy/water)
● Scrap / plastic recycling
● Implemented recycling and waste reduction plans
● On-site wastewater treatment system consists of primary clarification, aerobic biological treatment, and supplemental membrane filtration for final wastewater polishing
-The New York Water Environment Association awarded the Geneseo plant’s wastewater treatment system with its Pollution Prevention Award
● Responsible Care® member - An industry-wide initiative among members of the American Chemistry Council – demonstrating commitment to health, safety and the environment
|Safety record||No injuries in the last 8 years resulting in lost work time.
● Achieved 1.5 million hours without a lost time incident
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● OHSAS 18001:2007
Luperox® is registered trademarks of Arkema Inc.
United Way® is a registered trademark of the United Way of America
Last updated: December 10, 2015