The Geneseo, NY plant produces liquid organic peroxides that are used primarily in the production of acrylics, elastomers, LDPE (low density polyethylene), polyesters, polystyrene and PVC (polyvinyl chloride). Many products that we encounter daily, from automobile components to food packaging, owe their existence to the chemicals produced at the Geneseo plant.
Boats, tubs, and spas are cured by peroxides made at Geneseo. These are more commonly known by their tradename Luperox® organic peroxide.
One of our products makes plastic furniture more easily processed into shape. Another is used in the manufacture of kitchen counter tops.
Our plant also produces peroxydicarbonates used to make PVC, which is then used in turn to make many familiar products such as vinyl siding and plastic piping.
The Geneseo plant also produces a variety of benzoyl peroxides, acne medication and polystyrene (some of which becomes expandable polystyrene).
We celebrated our 50th anniversary in 2003 by renewing our commitment to excellence in all areas of plant operations.
- Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) – We are a charter member and have conducted plant tours and safety training with members of the local fire department and Emergency Medical Service.
- Community Advisory Panel (CAP) – Consisting of local residents, community leaders and plant employees, the CAP serves as a forum to inform the community about Arkema and addresses any questions or concerns our neighbors may have.
- Science Teacher Program – We provide summer science program workshops for local elementary science teachers, with materials and learnings used more broadly across multiple grades.
- Livingston County Business Education Alliance – We help invest in the future by providing college scholarships for students from area high schools and hiring employees’ college age children as summer interns.
- Plant Tours – We offer plant tours to students, interested neighbors, and community leaders. In addition, we invite our neighbors to open houses approximately every five years. We participate in highway cleanups and publish an annual newsletter for internal and external distribution.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Rochester Business Alliance
- Livingston County Environmental Management Council
- United Way®
- Local sports and academic teams
Key figures for 2012
|# of employees||86|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$ 8.9 million in 2012
● Arkema completed an $ 850,000 capital expansion
|Investment in the community||
$ 2,000 investment in 2012, including:
● York Volunteer Fire Company
● United Way® backpack program
|Investment in health, environment and safety||● Implemented recycling and waste reduction plans
● On-site wastewater treatment system consists of primary clarification, aerobic biological treatment, and supplemental membrane filtration for final wastewater polishing
○ The New York Water Environment Association awarded the Geneseo plant’s wastewater treatment system with its Pollution Prevention Award
● Responsible Care® member -- an industry-wide initiative among members of the American Chemistry Council – demonstrating commitment to health, safety and the environment
|Safety record||No injuries in the last 7 years resulting in lost work time.
● Achieved 1.4 million hours without a lost time incident
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● OHSAS 18001:2007
● Recent recipient of Arkema Outstanding Safety Performance Award
Luperox® is registered trademarks of Arkema Inc.
United Way is a registered trademark of the United Way of America