Houston, Texas production plant
The Houston, TX plant is a global supplier of linear mercaptans, tertiary mercaptans, and carbon disulfide. These products are key ingredients in the manufacture of cellophane structrued polymers and latex. Our products are also used in the production of synthetic rubber, plastics and corrosion inhibitors.
- Channel Industries Mutual Aid (CIMA) – We meet monthly with the CIMA, an emergency response organization made up of refineries, chemical plants, municipalities and government organizations in the Houston industrial belt. Response drills are conducted periodically, to ensure our preparedness for a real emergency.
- East Harris County Manufacturers Association (EHCMA) and American Chemistry Council – We are an active member in both the ECHMA and ACC organizations.
- Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) – We are also an active member in the LEPC, meeting monthly to talk about community response planning in the event of an emergency in the area.
- Science Teacher Workshop– We participate in an annual workshop each summer, which is supported by the Arkema Inc. Foundation. Local science teachers spend a week studying experiment kits with the help of a plant scientist. The program is designed to help science teachers expand and enhance their science teaching skills.
Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo
Arkema’s Houston, Texas plant employees volunteered at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo (HLSR) for the 15th straight year. All funds raised during the event support education and facilitate better agricultural practices through exhibitions and presentations. The organization has raised more than $400 million since its very first show in 1932, going towards scholarships, endowments, educational youth programs and more. Arkema’s Houston volunteers are proud to support the annual event.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||56 (as well as ~ 11 nested contractors)|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||~$5 million in taxes and salaries in 2015|
|Investment in the community||
$15,000 investment in 2015
● Local organization memberships
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
$4 Million in approved capital investments in 2015 for health, safety, and environmental projects
● Capacity improvement projects to strengthen and reinforce plant safety systems as we increase production to meet increasing sales demand
● Investment in environmental control equipment and technology as part of our ongoing commitment to reduce our carbon footprint
● Our emergency response teams receive training at nationally recognized training facilities, such as Texas A&M (fire school)
|Safety record||Because of a renewed commitment of the leadership team to safety, there have been no lost time incidents since 2010, resulting in 1 million+ safe work hours.|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● ACC Responsible Care Certificate of Excellence
Last updated: December 8, 2015