King of Prussia, Pennsylvania headquarters and research and development center
King of Prussia, PA is Arkema’s U.S. headquarters and main research and development location.
Innovation is the hallmark of Arkema Inc. researchers and scientists. We develop state-of-the art specialty chemicals and polymers that provide customers with practical solutions to the challenges and opportunities they face. As a company, Arkema is committed to developing solutions today for tomorrow’s societal needs. We have established four priorities for our research and development focus:
- Water management
- Lightweight materials
- Materials for new energies
- Renewable materials
Learn more about our R&D here.
Arkema is committed to excellence, the pursuit of safety and environmental protection, optimized performance, and best-in-class competitiveness.
King of Prussia United Way
November 24, 2014
Arkema's Americas HQ in King of Prussia, PA kicked off their United Way campaign in conjunction with United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey. Contributions and donations from employees go toward a variety of programs during the holiday season and throughout the year to help those in need. Arkema's King of Prussia HQ chose for their contributions to go toward programs that improve the quality of life and care for senior citizens in the community.
Our headquarters and research and development community at King of Prussiai are proud of our emphasis on safety, health and the environment. We support the company's efforts in product stewardship, and we strive to be viewed as a good neighbor in our community.
- Science teacher program - Arkema Inc.’s Science Teacher Program has provided hands-on training to hundreds of teachers nationwide. Arkema developed the Science Teacher Program to address a negative trend discovered while interviewing teachers in elementary and secondary education: teachers did not enjoy teaching hands-on science because they were not adequately equipped to teach it. In many cases, science was taught in a very superficial way or not at all. Instead of addressing the deficiencies of science education with short-term remedies, Arkema developed the program to strategically focus on teacher development. Education experts advised that dramatic, illustrative hands-on science activities can help students more clearly understand scientific principles and also can get them excited about science, sparking curiosity that may lead students to careers in science.
Since its inception in 1996, nearly 1000 teachers have taken part in Arkema’s Science Teacher Program. These teachers have gone on to share their knowledge with more than 50,000 students nationwide – many from socio-economically disadvantaged homes. In 2014, 18 elementary school teachers from ten local schools participated in the King of Prussia program.
- Cristo Rey High School Work / Study Program – Arkema partners with the Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School to provide four students with real life work experience. The students work one day a week at Arkema’s KOP site, from September through June. Their assignments are in office services, talent acquisition, talent management, and marketing. Cristo Rey is an independent, college preparatory Catholic school for under-represented urban students that helps build skills to succeed in college and the modern workplace. Based on a successful model used in 24 cities across the U.S., teams of four students work five days per month in partnering corporations, which provide them with invaluable work experience and subsidize approximately 60% of the cost of their education.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- FIRST Robotics (an international high school robotics competition) – local team sponsors
- United Way®
- Cristo Rey
- Employee donations to local soup kitchen
- Donations to King of Prussia & Swedesboro fire companies
- Philadelphia Reads - reading Olympics
- Franklin Institute
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Innovation Day at the Chemical Heritage Foundationl
- Economy League of Greater Philadelphia
Key figures for 2014
|# of employees||~600|
Local economic impact
$ 60+ million
$ 2+ million in 2014
|Investment in the community||$ 300,000 investment in 2014
● Time commitment also made by employees who volunteer in the community
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
$ 200,000+ investing for 2014 for health, safety, and environmental projects:
● All employees are required to devote an hour+ per month towards safety awareness / training
|Safety record||No employee injuries on the King of Prussia campus in the last year that led to lost work time|
|United Way® is a registered trademark belong to the United Way of America
Last updated: December 10, 2014