Louisville, Kentucky production plant
The Louisville, Kentucky plant produces one of Arkema’s signature products, Plexiglas® acrylic resin.
It’s a name you probably recognize as the standard in acrylic sheet. Our acrylic molding resin is used in tail light lenses, backlit signage, lighting applications, dashboard panels, medical equipment and much more.
The Louisville plant can produce and ship a resin so clean and pure that it is qualified for use as a layer in smartphone screens. This resin is also used in the manufacture of Plexiglas® acrylic sheet in North America and Latin America and Altuglas® acrylic sheet in the rest of the world.
We take pride in producing materials that have excellent optical clarity, exceptional resistance to the weather, and flexibility in their usage. Our products resist discoloration, and molded parts can be drilled, machined, engraved or embossed. A variety of characteristics available in our product line make it easy for our customers to choose the most suitable one for their application.
In 2013, we also added two production lines that produce extruded acrylic sheet. This product is used in many markets including signs, point of purchase displays, lighting, and store fixtures.
- Arkema Science Teacher Program – We provide summer science workshops for local elementary school science teachers. In 2015 we partnered with Cane Run Elementary School to provide teachers with materials and resources to help promote learning opportunities in math and science.
- Local School Connections and Junior Achievement Programs – Our employees have participated in mentoring and career coaching programs with Cane Run Elementary School and Charlestown High School.
- Rubbertown Community Advisory Council – We are part of this group whose mission is to provide ongoing dialogue between sponsoring chemical companies and the surrounding community to develop mutual trust and to promote substantive two-way communication on health, safety and the environment that will enhance the quality of life in the area.
One Year Without Injury
Arkema Louisville, KY celebrated a major safety milestone of one year without an OSHA recordable injury. Employees enjoyed lunch and cake together to commemorate the occasion. Site management shared their thanks to employees: “This result is due to the efforts of our employees and contractors on a day-to-day basis. It takes working safely one day at a time, one task at a time…from the simplest to the most difficult and dangerous tasks. To all Arkema Louisville employees, thank you for your efforts in protecting yourselves and your fellow workers.”
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Dare to Care Food Bank collection and donations
- Kentucky Association of Manufacturers
- Rubbertown Local Emergency Preparedness Committee (LEPC) – Annual safety fair participation
- Rubbertown Mutual Aid Association
- Toys for Tots collection
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||~ 80|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||More than $11 million total impact expected in 2015|
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
$1.2M in approved capital investments in 2015 for health, safety, and environmental projects
|Safety record||2+ years without a lost time injury.|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality|
Plexiglas® and Altuglas® are registered trademarks of Arkema Inc.
Last updated: December 3, 2015