While a seemingly simple commodity, numerous grades of hydrogen peroxide are required to serve the special needs of different markets. It is most apparent in many bathroom medicine cabinets, where bottles of hydrogen peroxide are kept as an antiseptic solution. Hydrogen peroxide is also used in toothpaste to help whiten teeth.
But hydrogen peroxide is used in many different industries. In the pulp and paper industry, hydrogen peroxide acts as an effective bleaching agent, providing a different solution to traditional methods using elemental chlorine. In the chemical industry, hydrogen peroxide is a superior reagent in various syntheses. In the textile industry, it is an outstanding bleaching agent for synthetic and natural fibers.
Hydrogen peroxide is often used in place of chlorine for the decontamination of industrial effluent, soil and water. It is also used in the desulfurization and deodorization of municipal wastewater, in the etching and drawing of silicon wafers and in household cleaning products. It is even used in the food industry, to help inhibit the growth of mold in cheese.
Visit brightenyourfuture.com for more product information.
- Memphis-Shelby County Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) – We are a participating member of the LEPC and participate in annual LEPC community drills.
- Woodstock Community "People of Woodstock" – We are a member of the People of Woodstock organization. This organization provides a means of open communication between residents and industrial neighbors. A site representative provides an update at each meeting that often includes safety and environment-related information.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- Heart Walk 5K
- Salvation Army Angel Tree - Purchasing Christmas gifts for 15 local children
- United Way®
Tipton-Rosemark Academy visits Memphis
Arkema’s Memphis, TN plant hosted students from Tipton-Rosemark Academy for the school’s annual “Career Field Day.” Students toured the plant and learned about a variety of career paths in the chemical engineering field from Memphis plant employees.
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||55|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$8 million in 2015|
|Investment in health, environment and safety||$1 Million in approved capital investments in 2015 for health, safety, and environmental projects.
● Process Safety Management (PSM) implementation and Arkema Integrated Management System (AIMS).
● Our goal is to produce and distribute hydrogen peroxide safely.
● Arkema was actively involved in the Chemours (formerly DuPont) Industrial Site Fire Brigade and Arkema Hazmat Teams, which respond to industrial site incidents as well as to community hazards and emergency clean-up needs throughout the surrounding areas.
● We participate in the Arkema REACTS (Responding to Emergencies & Accidents for Chemicals in TranSport) program by sponsoring a team that responds to off-site transportation incidents involving hydrogen peroxide.
|Investments in Asset Reliability||$4 Million invested in capital projects to ensure long term viability of the plant.|
||No injuries in 2+ years.|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● Responsible Care®
Last updated: December 3, 2015