Torrance, California production plant
The Torrance, California plant produces a range of latex emulsion products that are supplied to manufacturers of coatings, adhesives and construction products.
- Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPA) – Our site participates in local emergency planning committee meetings and meets all notification and reporting obligations.
- City of Torrance Emergency Response System – The Torrance plant, along with other area chemical companies, pay permit fees to ensure local emergency responders have the equipment needed to respond to emergencies.
Key Figures for 2012
|# of employees||32|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||Annual economic impact was more than $ 3.5 million in 2012 due to site operations|
|Investment in the community||$ 44,000 investment in 2012
● Contribution to the Emergency Response System for the City of Torrance
|Investment in health, environment and safety||$ 600,000 in approved capital investments in 2012 for health, safety, and environmental projects.
● Process safety designs and engineering.
● All production, including monomer transfer, is stopped at our facility every time there is welding or hot work in our Process Building, regardless of the specific scope of the job
● The plant has in-house rescue team & equipment for Confined Space rescue purposes
● Any liquid (including rain water), that is generated at our facility, is collected, tested and sent to the LA Sanitation County Industrial Wastewater for treatment
● Tank vents from all Reactor Trains & Monomer Storage Tanks are sent to a permitted Incinerator/Vent Treated System to minimize/eliminate emissions
● To reduce waste generation, off-grade latex is sold to other companies for use in industrial applications
● Stormwater control project - recent major project to improve stormwater drainage collection at the facility
● Arkema Coating Resins is continuously:
○ Improving our products, manufacturing practices and services to minimize impact to the environment
○ Assisting customers in scientific analyses to better understand the potential environmental impact of our products and formulations made with our products
○ Providing information on the safe transport, storage and use of our products
○ Meeting or exceeding all required regulatory standards in our operations and products
○ Providing regulatory compliance information to our customers
○ Being an open and cooperative partner to the communities in which we operate
|Safety record||Site has operated for more than 2 years without a recordable injury or reportable environmental release|
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||● ISO 9001:2008
● Arkema Information Management System (AIMS) – internal management program which meets ISO and Responsible Care® (RCMS) requirements
United Way® is a registered trademark of United Way® of America