Arkema Inc. history (before 1950)
Pennsylvania Salt's new plant in Calvert City, KY was completed and began making hydrofluoric acid.
In Monrovia, CA, Pennsylvania Salt began manufacturing post-harvest agrichemicals. Pennsylvania Salt acquired the Cornwell Heights, PA plant.
A division of the Rohm and Haas Company began manufacturing Plexiglas® acrylic resins in Bristol, PA.
Pennsylvania Salt constructed a plant in Portland, OR to produce chlorates and commodity chemicals.
Pennsylvania Salt opened its caustic soda and liquid chlorine plant in Tacoma, WA.
Goldschmidt Detinning changed its name to Metals and Thermit Company.
Home of the Wire Mills Production Department, the Homer, NY plant of R. H. Miller Company began operations.
The Goldschmidt Detinning Company was formed.
Theodore Armstrong, one of the principals of the Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Company, purchased the "Wyandotte" property in Riverview, MI for an operating facility. The 100-acre property contained large salt deposits, estimated as able to supply 180,000 tons a year for 150 years. The first product manufactured at this facility was caustic soda (lye) and chlorine as a byproduct. In addition, salt was also mined and sold to the meatpacking industry.
Pennsylvania Salt shipped 500 barrels of oil to London, the first refined petroleum exported from the United States.
The Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Company was organized by five Quakers in Philadelphia.