Axis, Alabama production plant
The Axis (Mobile), Ala. plant manufactures products based on two primary chemistries: acrylic polymers, and sulfur (thio) chemicals.
Products and markets
Acrylic polymers are additives used to improve the properties (Impact Modifiers) and processing (Process Aids) of a wide variety of plastic items. Impact Modifiers improve the impact resistance of PVC compounds used in pipe, siding, fencing, decking, windows, and trim. Process Aids improve the productivity, quality and cost of producing these same products in addition to film, sheet, bottles and packaging. Thiochemicals are active ingredients in permanent wave solutions and hair removers. They are also ingredients used to make heat stabilizers for vinyl products and serve as corrosion inhibitors in the oil and gas well drilling industry. In addition to these chemistries, the plant operates and maintains two tin-based chemistry production units for PMC Organometallix.
Visit the Additives website for more information.
- McDavid-Jones Elementary School Partners-In-Education Program – The plant is a participant in the Mobile County School System’s "Partners-in-Education" (PIE) program since its inception in 1990. The program was created to form working relationships between individual public schools and local business, government, volunteer and civic leaders.
- LeMoyne Community Advisory Panel (CAP) - Representatives from the plant meet regularly with members of the community and representatives of other companies, to work together to help the LeMoyne area grow, develop and be fully informed of chemical manufacturing in the area.
- LeMoyne Industrial Park Annual Community Day – Annual event provides the opportunity for community to meet plant workers and management and allows member companies to show their appreciation for the strong support of the local community.
- Mobile Chamber of Commerce - Partners for Growth member, Board of Advisors member, and active supporters of the Chamber.
- Science Teacher Program – The Mobile plant is a participant in Arkema’s annual innovative, hands-on science program. The program was designed to mentor and help equip local area elementary teachers with new methods of stimulating scientific interest for their students.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- American Cancer Society annual chili cook-off
- Annual Creola lunch for senior citizens
- Central Gulf Industrial Alliance (CGIA)
- Mobile Community Action Headstart program
- Junior Achievement – Bowling fund raiser
- LeMoyne Emergency Medical Service
- Life South blood drives
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk
- Manufacture Alabama
- Partners for Environmental Progress (PEP) – A local environmental collaboration between industry and community
- Southwest Alabama Workforce Development Council (SAWDC)
- United Way®
Key figures for 2018
|Number of employees||109|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$13 Million in 2018|
|Investment in the community||● Community donations
● Over 600 hours of community service
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
$300,000 investment in 2018
● Over nine years with no lost time accidents
● One recordable in 2018● OSHA Voluntary Protection Plan (VPP) Star Site. There are approximately 1,600 Star sites in the U.S. out of 6 million work sites. The Axis facility is the first Arkema site to achieve this designation
|Awards/certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● ISO 9001:2015 standard by Det Norske Veritas (DNV)
Responsible Care is a registered trademark of the American Chemistry Council
United Way is a registered trademark of the United Way of America