Axis, Alabama production plant
The Axis (Mobile), AL plant manufactures products based on acrylic polymers.
Acrylic polymers are additives used to improve the properties (impact modifiers) and processing (process aids) of a wide variety of plastic items. Impact modifiers improve the impact resistance of PVC compounds used in pipe, siding, fencing, decking, windows, and trim. Process aids improve the productivity, quality and cost of producing these same products in addition to film, sheet, bottles and packaging.
Visit the Additives website for more information.
TeenWise: Food for Thought Program
Arkema’s Axis, AL plant sponsored the “TeenWise: Food for Thought” program for inner-city teens which promotes healthy eating. A trip to the grocery store with volunteers allowed local teens to participate in a scavenger hunt to help teach them how to read food labels and make healthier choices while shopping. Later, the group prepared a meal for family and friends following a healthy cooking demonstration from Chris & Carla’s Heavenly Ribs and Catering. Several guests spoke words of encouragement, including a pathologist from the University of South Alabama Hospital. The thirty teens left the event with woks, cooking utensils, measuring cups/spoons and oven mitts provided by Arkema.
- LeMoyne Community Advisory Panel (CAP) - Representatives from the plant meet regularly with members of the community and representatives of other companies. We work together help the LeMoyne area grow, develop, and be fully informed of chemical manufacturing in the area. This panel provides a forum for us to know, understand, and respond to any community concerns in a proactive manner. The member companies have operated for many years as good neighbors and stewards of the environment, and through the Community Advisory Panel, have worked hard to provide information about their operations and activities.
- LeMoyne Industrial Park Annual Community Day Event – This day gives local residents the opportunity to meet plant workers and management in a comfortable setting, and allows member companies to show their appreciation for the strong support of the local community.
- McDavid-Jones Elementary School Partners-In-Education Program – Our facility has been a participant in the Mobile county school system’s "Partners-in-Education" (PIE) program for more than 20 years. PIE was created to form a working relationship between business, government, volunteer and civic leaders with a Mobile county public school and/or a specific educational program. The program is a nationally recognized method of increasing community awareness and input into the local education process. The PIE partnerships have one common theme: improving the quality of education in Mobile County for every child.
- Mobile Chamber of Commerce - Partners for Growth member, Board of Advisors member, and active supporters of the Chamber, raising more than $95,000 in 2015 alone.
Local associations / Events we sponsor
- American Cancer Society annual chili cook-off
- Annual Creola lunch for senior citizens
- Central Gulf Industrial Alliance (CGIA)
- Ella Grant Elementary School – Annual visit from Santa, delivering gifts to Pre-K class
- Junior Achievement – Bowling fund raiser
- LeMoyne Emergency Medical Service
- LeMoyne Industrial Park – Community services and activities
- Life South Blood Drives – Three drives at the plant during 2014
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk
- Manufacture Alabama
- Mobile Chamber of Commerce State of the City & County lunch sponsor
- PEP (Partners for Environmental Progress) – A local environmental collaboration between industry and community
- Southwest Alabama Workforce Development Council (SAWDC)
- United Way®
Key figures for 2015
|# of employees||105|
|Local economic impact (Payroll / Utility / Property taxes paid annually)||$14 Million in 2015|
|Investment in the community||$75,000 investment in 2015
● Community donations
● Over 600 hours of community service
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
$1.4 Million investment in 2015
● Upgrades to process tanks of flammable material
|Safety record||No injuries resulting in lost work time in over 6.5 years
● OSHA Voluntary Protection Plan (VPP) Star Site. There are approximately 1,600 Star sites in the U.S. out of 6 million work sites. The Axis facility is the first Arkema site to achieve this designation
|Awards/Certifications for safety, environmental, and quality||
● ISO 9001:2008 standard by Det Norske Veritas (DNV)
● 2014 American Chemistry Council Responsible Care® Facility Safety Award – Certificate of Excellence for the prevention of occupational injuries and illnesses
Responsible Care® is a registered trademark of the American Chemistry Council
United Way is a registered trademark of the United Way of America