Bayport, Texas production plant
American Acryl LP is a joint venture owned by Nippon Shokubai America Industries, Inc. (“NAII”) and Arkema Inc. American Acryl manufactures acrylic acid at its Bayport, Texas facility for the benefit of its owners. NAII and Arkema have manufacturing units at the Bayport facility. The three companies work closely to maintain safe operations at the Bayport facility.
Products and markets
At American Acryl, acrylic acid is produced by reacting propylene (a product available from nearby petroleum refineries) with oxygen in the air under tightly controlled conditions. The plant runs year-round on a 24-hour schedule. Some of the acrylic acid is consumed onsite as a feedstock for NAII and Arkema, and some is shipped to other customers. Acrylic acid is used to manufacture numerous personal care and household items such as hand lotion, detergent, shampoo, acrylic yarn and water-based acrylic paints.
Arkema owns a unit at the site that uses acrylic acid to produce 2-ethylhexylacrylate (2EHA). NAII owns and operates a unit at the site that produces super-absorbent polymer (SAP) from acrylic acid. SAP is the absorbent material inside disposable diapers.
Key figures for 2016
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
$1.1 million in capital investments in 2017 related to improvements in health, safety and environmental
|Safety, environmental or quality awards or certifications||
Our site has been recognized with a safety award from the American Chemistry Council and with an Arkema Presidential Site Safety Award.
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
- Channel Industrial Mutual Aid (CIMA) – American Acryl coordinates with other chemical companies in the area to prepare for and respond to natural disasters or accidents.
- Community Advisory Panel (SEACAP) – local Bayport chemical companies work together with local area residents and businesses to provide education about our safety programs, answer questions and address concerns on a monthly basis.
- Local Emergency Planning Committee – American Acryl works closely with local first responders to prepare for and respond to emergencies.
- East Harris County Manufacturing Association (EHCMA) – an association of local businesses cooperate to improve emergency communications and community relations.
- Pasadena Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership (BAHEP)
- Member of the Houston Economic Alliance
4631 Old Highway 146
Seabrook, TX 77586
Nippon Shokubai America Industries, Inc. engages in the manufacture and sale of super absorbent polymers for baby diapers, water-soluble polymers for detergents and polymers for concrete admixture. It also provides technical liaison and business development solutions. The company was founded in 1988 and was originally based in Chattanooga, Tennessee. In June 2012, NAII relocated its super absorbent polymer operation and its NAII corporate offices to the Houston area at a site next to the American Acryl plant. NAII operates as a subsidiary of Nippon Shokubai Co. Ltd.
Last updated: March 2018