Blooming Prairie, Minnesota production plant
The Blooming Prairie, Minnesota plant produces more than two dozen finished products. Many of these products are green, sustainable and support the local economy by utilizing soybean oil from Midwest growers.
Products and markets
Our finished products are made using soybean, linseed, and other natural vegetable oils as well as olefinic oils. A process called epoxidation causes changes in the physical appearance and chemical properties of such oils, making them suitable for a variety of industrial uses.
Epoxidized soybean and linseed oil are primarily used for imparting flexibility, strength and ultraviolet stability to polyvinyl chloride resin formulations. We also produce other specialty epoxides, which are used in lubricating oil formulations, plastic formulations and the cosmetic industry. Our products allow our customers to produce goods that are common in daily use, such as food wrap, medical products,
furniture, automobile interiors, floor tile and jar cap liners.
Key figures for 2017
|Local ecomonic impact
$4 million in 2017
● utility fees
● property taxes
● expenditures with local vendors
|Investment in the community||
$20,000 investment in 2017
● Civic and charitable programs
● Education programs
● Local youth programs
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
$500,000 in approved capital investments in 2017 for health, safety and environmental projects
● We work cooperatively with the Steele County Emergency Management and Safety Councils to help maintain and improve our site safety programs, including an ongoing program for monitoring and testing our workplace and the environment for exposure to chemicals.
● Improvements made to acid and waste transfer piping systems
● Improved flammable storage facility installed
|Awards/certifications for safety, environmental and quality||
● RCMS certification
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
Recent Twitter activity
Recent Facebook activity
- Arkema Inc. Science Teacher Program - Each year, 6 teachers from three local elementary schools spend a week at the Blooming Prairie plant to learn new hands-on science activities and receive materials to take back to the classroom. Since 2000, we have sponsored over 100 teachers from dozens of local schools.
- Citizen's Advisory Panel (CAP) - The CAP fosters open dialogue between our site and community members about our operations. It is open to all and can include participation of local high school students as part of their classwork.
- Minnesota's Adopt-a-Highway Program - Employees pick up litter along a two-mile stretch of state highway near our facility in both Spring and Fall.
- Blooming Prairie School Programs - We make contributions each year to provide materials and enrichment experiences for elementary and high school students. We participate in science fair events, discuss science and engineering at the schools, and host chemistry student tours.
- Blooming Prairie Youth Club - We make contributions each year to provide youth after-school and summer programs.
- Blooming Prairie Community Programs - We make contributions each year to support a range of programs, such as cultural events, charitable causes and emergency response agencies.
- Science & Engineering Scholarship - Each year we give a $4,000 scholarship to a Blooming Prairie High School senior who plans to pursue a degree in engineering or science.
Blooming Prairie, Minnesota
157 Highway Avenue North
Blooming Prairie, MN 55917
Last updated: August 2018