Calvert City, Kentucky production plant
The Calvert City, Ky. plant produces a number of products that are used to improve daily life, from enabling safe, efficient food storage to contributing to lightweight materials that conserve energy and improve safety.
Products and markets
Our Kynar® PVDF resin is a tough plastic coating used as wire insulation and on the exterior of many buildings. Kynar® PVDF resin is also used in high performance piping systems including ultra-pure water systems used in manufacturing computer chips.
The Forane® refrigerants we produce are used as coolant in air conditioners and refrigeration equipment. They are also used in insulation for transportation, appliances and construction.
We also manufacture hydrochloric acid, which is used for refining ore, pickling and cleaning metal products, electroplating, removing scale from boilers. It’s also used as a catalyst and solvent in organic syntheses, in the manufacture of fertilizers and dyes, for hydrolyzing starch and proteins in the preparation of various food products, and in the photographic, textile and rubber industries.
Key figures for 2019
|Number of employees||268|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$423 million|
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
9 years without a lost time injury
|Awards/certifications for safety, environmental and quality|
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
- Calvert City Industrial Mutual Aid Program – This is held in coordination with other chemical companies in the area; this program is designed to prepare for, and respond to, natural disasters or accidents.
- Good Neighbor Night – attended by 1400 neighbors in 2019. This is an annual open house where we address neighbors' questions concerning our plant operations and environmental and safety performance. This event helps provide an open dialogue between plant neighbors and our employees.
- Community Advisory Team – A facilitator conducts monthly meetings of the group, which is comprised of a cross-section of local residents and industry representatives, including other chemical plants in the Calvert City area. The Community Advisory Team helps increase dialogue between the community and industry, provides an avenue for information sharing and helps us identify and respond to community concerns. Through regular meetings and activities such as plant tours, we are able to regularly educate and update the community on plant activities of interest.
- Science Teacher Program – Arkema’s Calvert City plant hosts an annual innovative, hands-on science program equipping elementary teachers from area schools with new methods of stimulating scientific interest for their students. Teachers are selected to participate with plant staff in a three-day mentor program utilizing science kits on a variety of subjects for use in grades 3-6. In addition to the kits, each teacher receives a stipend and each participating school receives an Arkema donation for science education.
- Paducah area and Marshall County Chambers of Commerce
- Calvert Area United Fund - site employees contributed $47,000 in 2019
- Local food banks
- Marshall County Exceptional Center
- Scholarships, University of Kentucky School of Engineering at Paducah
- Shelter-in-Place training program done at local schools
Calvert City, Kentucky
P.O. Box 187
4444 Industrial Parkway
Calvert City, KY 42029
Last updated: May 2020
Kynar® and Forane® are registered trademarks of Arkema Inc.