Chester, South Carolina production plant
The Chester plant began operations in 1998, with one sales and marketing office on site for the NAFTA region and one application laboratory for technical support. Chester has 48 employees to date. The facility is located 49 miles (79 kilometers) from Charlotte, N.C.
Products and markets
The Chester, S.C. plant produces 20+ water-based rheology additives (Polyacrylate Dispersants, Acrylate thickeners and Polyurethane thickeners, Concrete Additives, Water Treatment Chemicals), including:
RheotechTM 3800 thickener brings optimal in-can appearance and tinting synergy. During application, paints made with RheotechTM exhibit improved flow and leveling, spatter resistance, and film build.
CoadisTM 144A is a dispersing agent for paint industry. Properties include longer shelf life and optimized optical efficiency for sustainable formulating. It provides the lowest grinding time for solids in medium to high volumetric pigment concentration.
The Chester plant also distributes polyurethane thickeners for its sister companies.
Key figures for 2016
|Investment in the community||
Last 10 years we have one lost time injury and two OSHA recordable incidents.
|Awards/certifications for safety, environmental and quality|
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
Recent Twitter activity
Recent Facebook activity
local associations / events we sponsor
Our site regularly engages in and provides donations for local community and educational programs:
- Employees participated in Disaster Relief in Columbia S.C. to help clean and remove debris from homes affected in the 2015 South Carolina flood. We also donated a pallet of bottled water to the Chester County Emergency Management System for delivery to flood victims.
- Chester Thanksgiving Project: Each year, Coatex assists 400 local needy families by contributing food for their Thanksgiving dinner.
- Toys for Tots: Every December we collect new toys for the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve "Toys for Tots" program.
- Sponsored and provided refreshments for the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).
- Participate in quarterly-to-monthly Human Resource Round Table Meetings with other local manufacturing plants.
- Sponsors local Youth Co-Ed Soccer Team and Chester County Traveling Softball Team to promote youth sporting activities in Chester County.
- Actively participate in the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) Adopt-A-Highway Program by keeping two miles of roadways close to the Chester facility free of litter four times a year.
- A member of the Chester County Chamber of Commerce and support varies local non-profit organizations that help the surrounding communities.
Our commitment to safety and the environment
Safety remains our utmost priority. The facility is also committed to complying with all regulations and standards related to environmental protection and pollution prevention. In 2011, we initiated a new "NG" product line to replace 60% of our products with VOC free greener options. To accomplish this, we installed a thermal oxidizer to destroy 99.99% of harmful emissions. The new process uses a new patented molecule to replace VOC used in previous manufacturing processes. The facility is highly automated for safety. All finished products we produce are water based non-hazardous.
Chester, South Carolina
547 Ecology Lane
Chester, SC 29706-4722
Coatex is a designer and a world producer of rheological additives. These high performance and environment-friendly additives are used in a wide variety of applications, such as Painting, Paper, Mineral Processing, Detergency, Concrete, Plaster, Ceramic and Water Treatment. For more information, please visit www.coatex.com. Coatex is a subsidiary of Arkema, a French chemical company present in close to 50 countries. For the latest, visit www.arkema-americas.com.
Last updated: June 2017