Chester, South Carolina production plant
The Chester, SC plant produces water-based rheology additives, polyacrylates, acrylic emulsions and polyurethanes serving a wide variety of applications, such as water-borne paints & coatings, adhesives & sealants, paper coatings, minerals processing, construction, homecare and water treatment.
Products and markets
Our product brands include Rheotech™ acrylic thickeners for coatings, Coapur™ polyurethane thickeners for coatings, Coadis™ specialty dispersing agents, Ethacryl™ superplasticizers for concrete admixtures, Rheocarb™ specialty rheology modifiers for paper coating.
Key figures for 2019
|Number of employees||51|
|Local economic impact (includes payroll/utility/property taxes)||$6.8 million|
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
$167,000 in approved invested capital projects for health, safety, and environment
3 years without a recordable injury
|Awards/certifications for safety, environmental and quality|
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
Local associations / events we sponsor
Our site regularly engages in and provides donations for local community and educational programs:
- Chester Thanksgiving Project: Each year, Coatex assists 400 local needy families by contributing food for their Thanksgiving dinner.
- Participate monthly with the Chester County Chamber Human Resources Round Table
meetings with other local manufacturing plants.
- Sponsored and provided refreshments for the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).
- Employees participate in the Junior Achievement Program partnered with the Chester
County School District.
- Sponsor local Youth Co-Ed Soccer Team and Chester County Traveling Softball Team to promote youth sporting activities in Chester County.
- Actively participate in the South Carolina Department of Transportation Adopt-A-Highway Program by keeping two miles of roadways close to the Chester facility free of litter four times a year.
- Food pantry: collection of goods to donate to the local food bank.
- A member of the Chester County Chamber of Commerce and support various local non-profit organizations that help the surrounding communities.
- Participate in the Arkema Science Teacher’s Program
- Sponsor local county organizations: Chester County Art Council, Chester Historical District, Local 4H/High School Rodeo event, Chester High School Athletic Booster Club.
- Collaboration with the Chester County emergency response teams: Sheriff, Fire, Emergency Management with annual crisis drills and well as other collaborations throughout the year.
Chester, South Carolina
547 Ecology Lane
Chester, SC 29706-4722
Coatex is a designer and a world producer of rheological additives. These high performance and environment-friendly additives are used in a wide variety of applications, such as Painting, Paper, Mineral Processing, Detergency, Concrete, Plaster, Ceramic and Water Treatment. For more information, please visit www.coatex.com. Coatex is a subsidiary of Arkema, a French chemical company present in close to 50 countries. For the latest, visit www.arkema-americas.com.
Last updated: May 2020