Products and markets
Arkema Inc. owns and operates the Clear Lake facility in the Pasadena Industrial District. The plant manufactures three products described below.
- We use a process that reacts propylene (hydrocarbon gas) with air to produce acrylic acid. The plant runs year-round on a 24-hour schedule.
- We use a process that combines acrylic acid with butanol (butyl alcohol) to produce butylacrylate.
- Methylacrylate: We use a process that combines acrylic acid with methanol (methyl alcohol) to produce methylacrylate.
Acrylic acid, butylacrylate and methylacrylate are widely used in the manufacture of personal care and household products including such items as disposable diapers, hand lotion, detergent, shampoo, acrylic yarn and water-based acrylic coatings, as well as water treatment chemicals.
Key figures for 2016
|Investment in the community||~ $55,000 investment in 2016
• Employee United Way® contributions
• Sponsorships and contributions
• Science Teacher Program
|Investment in growth at the site / health, environment and safety||Investment plan in the Acrylics business
• $100 million new reactor project approved with planned start-up early 2019
• ~$20 million capital investment yearly – including ~$2M in health, safety and environmental projects
o Automated process safety shut down systems
o Mechanical integrity
o Process safety improvements
|Awards/certifications for safety, environmental and quality||
• Various customer and supplier awards
• Arkema President Star Safety Award – in recognition of personal commitment to safety
• 2013 Arkema Safety Award
• Responsible Care® management system certified
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
Recent Twitter activity
Recent Facebook activity
- Industrial Mutual Aid Program – We participate in the Chemical Industry Mutual Aid (CIMA) in coordination with other local chemical companies. This enables area facilities to help one another to prepare for and effectively respond to natural disasters and accidents.
- Bay Area Community Advisory Panel (CAP) – Local Bayport chemical companies work together in an open environment with local area residents, meeting each month to share information on our safety programs, learn about topics of mutual interest and answer questions and address community concerns.
- Science Teacher Program – Our site hosts a group of local teachers each summer to provide them with new knowledge and resources to help bring science to life for students in grades 3-6.
Clear Lake, Texas
9502B Bayport Blvd.
Pasadena, TX 77507
Last updated: March 2017
United Way® is a registered trademark of United Way of America.