Products and markets
The Houston, TX plant is a global supplier of linear mercaptans, tertiary mercaptans, and carbon disulfide. These products are key ingredients in the manufacture of cellophane, structured polymers, and latex. Our products are also used in the production of synthetic rubber, plastics and corrosion inhibitors.
Key figures for 2017
|Local ecomonic impact
$8.3 million in taxes and salaries in 2017
|Investment in the community||
● $20,000 investment in 2017
● Local organization memberships
● Additional manpower hours towards key community service projects
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
$2.6 million in approved capital investments in 2017 for health, safety, and environmental projects
● Capacity improvement projects to strengthen and reinforce plant safety systems as we increase production to meet increasing sales demand
● Investment in environmental control and technology as part of our ongoing commitment to reduce our carbon footprint
● Our emergency response teams receive training at nationally recognized training facilities such as Texas A&M (fire school)
Because of a renewed commitment of the leadership team to safety, there have been no lost time incidents since 2010, resulting in 1.3 million+ safe work hours
|Awards/certifications for safety, environmental and quality|
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
Recent Twitter activity
Recent Facebook activity
Local associations / events we sponsor
- Local Chamber of Commerce
- North Channel Assistance Ministries
- Betty’s Haven - This is a non-profit within the North Channel Coalition.
- Toys for Tots - We partner with Channelview and Cloverleaf Fire Departments to collect toys distributed as Christmas gifts to children in need in the North Channel area.
- Science Teacher Workshop – We participate in an annual workshop each summer, which is supported by the Arkema Inc. Foundation. Local science teachers spend a week studying experiment kits with the help of a plant scientist. The program is designed to help science teachers expand and enhance their science teaching skills.
- EHCMA (East Harris County Manufacturers Association) and American Chemistry Council - We are an active member in both the ECHMA and ACC organizations.
- Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) - We are also an active member in the LEPC, meeting monthly to talk about community response planning in the event of an emergency in the area.
- CIMA (Channel Industries Mutual Aid) - We meet monthly with CIMA, an emergency response organization made up of refineries, chemical plants, municipalities and government organizations in the Houston industrial belt. Response drills are conducted periodically, to ensure our preparedness for a real emergency.
- Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo – We volunteer and donate to this organization annually. The organization has raised more than $450 million since its very first show in 1932, going towards scholarships, endowments, educational youth programs and more.
2231 Haden Road
Houston, TX 77015
Last updated: May 2018