Memphis, Tennessee production plant
Arkema’s Memphis, Tenn. plant produces hydrogen peroxide. While this is a seemingly simple commodity, numerous grades of hydrogen peroxide are required to serve the special needs of different markets.
Products and markets
Hydrogen peroxide is most commonly found in home medicine cabinets, where it is kept as an antiseptic solution, also used in toothpaste to help whiten teeth. In the pulp
and paper industry, it is used as an effective bleaching agent, providing an alternative to traditional methods that use elemental chlorine and is also an outstanding bleaching agent for synthetic and natural fibers.
In the chemical industry, hydrogen peroxide is a reagent in synthesizing various compounds. Hydrogen peroxide is often used in place of chlorine for the decontamination of industrial effluent, soil and water. It is also used in the desulfurization and deodorization of municipal wastewater, in the etching and drawing of silicon wafers and in household cleaning products. It is even used in the food industry to help inhibit the growth of mold in cheese.
Key figures for 2018
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
|Awards/certifications for safety, environmental and quality||
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
Community involvement / sponsorships
- Woodstock Community "People of Woodstock" – We are a member of this organization, which provides a means of open communication between residents and industrial neighbors. A site representative provides an update at each meeting that often includes safety and environment-related information.
- Memphis-Shelby County Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) – We are a participating member of the LEPC and participate in annual LEPC community drills to help ensure local emergency preparedness.
- Science Teacher Program – We host four teachers each summer, grades 3-6, providing tools and training in new ways to engage students in lessons on science.
- Engineering Internship Program with Christian Brothers University
- Salvation Army Angel Tree Program – Plant employees raise money and purchase gifts.
2571 Fite Road
Memphis, TN 38127
Last updated: March 2019