Memphis, Tennessee production plant
Arkema’s Memphis, Tenn. plant produces hydrogen peroxide. While this is a seemingly simple commodity, numerous grades of hydrogen peroxide are required to serve the special needs of different markets.
Products and markets
Hydrogen peroxide is most commonly found in home medicine cabinets, where it is kept as an antiseptic solution. Hydrogen peroxide is also used in toothpaste to help whiten teeth. In the pulp and paper industry, hydrogen peroxide is used as an effective bleaching agent, providing an alternative to traditional methods of bleaching that use elemental chlorine. In the chemical industry, hydrogen peroxide is a superior reagent in synthesizing various compounds. In the textile industry, it is an outstanding bleaching agent for synthetic and natural fibers.
Hydrogen peroxide is often used in place of chlorine for the decontamination of industrial effluent, soil and water. It is also used in the desulfurization and deodorization of municipal wastewater, in the etching and drawing of silicon wafers and in household cleaning products. It is even used in the food industry to help inhibit the growth of mold in cheese.
Key figures for 2016
|Investment in health, environment and safety||
• Installed new cooling tower, increasing capacity to eliminate well water usage
• Installed air compressors to decrease energy usage
|Awards/certifications for safety, environmental and quality||
• Arkema Arena Award
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
Recent Twitter activity
Recent Facebook activity
Local associations / events we sponsor
- Salvation Army Angel Tree Program – purchasing Christmas gifts for 15 local children
- Career Day – interacting with local high school students, discussing careers in the sciences and providing a tour of our facility
- Memphis-Shelby County Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) – We are a participating member of the LEPC and participate in annual LEPC community drills to help ensure local emergency preparedness.
- Woodstock Community "People of Woodstock" – We are a member of this organization, which provides a means of open communication between residents and industrial neighbors. A site representative provides an update at each meeting that often includes safety and environment-related information.
- Science Teacher Program – Each summer we host a group of local teachers, grades 3-6, providing tools and training in new ways to engage students in lessons on science.
2571 Fite Road
Memphis, TN 38127
Last updated: March 2017