Oleris® n-Heptanoic acid
- Purity ≥ 99%
- 100% of vegetal oil origin
- 100% linear and saturated carbon chain
- Chemical formula : CH3-(CH2)5-COOH
Thanks to its good anti-corrosion properties and its unique performance level at high and low temperatures, the Oleris® n-heptanoic acid is mainly used in refrigeration lubricants, aviation, automobile…
Also, it has interesting applications in the form of esters in the fragrances and flavors industry as well as in cosmetics.
Oleris® n-Heptanoic acid is used as a chemical intermediate in the synthesis of vegetable-based cosmetics:
- Skin conditioning agents
- Viscosity controlling agents
Like Stearyl heptanoate, Glyceryl triheptanoate, etc…
INCI name: heptanoic acid
Seven carbon atoms in the linear chain yields a good compromise in terms of low viscosity at low temperature and low volatility at high temperature.
Oleris® n-heptanoic acid is used in the lubricants in the form of esters (e.g. neopolyol ester) with:
- An improved fluidity at low temperature, higher than with nearby C6/C8/C10.
- A high thermal stability
- A good resistance to oxidation
These esters are used primarily in applications for the automotive (car motor oils), in metalworking fluids, as plasticizers…
Oleris® n-Heptanoic acid is a very effective corrosion inhibitor to protect the copper, iron, aluminum and zinc when used as a salt derivative (sodium heptanoate).
This heptanoic acid shows a good stability in hard water which prevents the precipitation of calcium.
This salt of heptanoic acid is widely used in:
- Metalworking fluids
- Water-based hydraulic fluids for anti-freeze application
- Industrial water-based refrigerants
- Temporary protection
- Anticorrosion additive for paints
- Cutting oils
Flavors and Fragrance applications
Oleris® n-Heptanoic acid, of 100% of vegetal origin, is used as a chemical intermediate in the synthesis of esters from C1 to C9 alcohols. These esters present fruity, green, herbal or floral notes.
More than 25 aromatic esters from heptanoic acid are possible, like:
- In flavors: Ethyl heptanoate or allyl heptanoate with fruity or pineapple notes are commonly used.
- In fragrances: Nonyl heptanoate is particulary appreciated for its orange floral rose notes.
Oleris® n-Heptanoic acid certifications
- Oleris® n-heptanoic acid is Kosher certificated, free of BSE-TSE and GMO free.
- Oleris® n-heptanoic acid is compliant with the raw materials standard that can be used in the formulation of cosmetics certified according to the Natural and Organic ECOCERT standard, and meets the specifications of the Food Chemical Codex, but is not intended for a use as a direct food ingredient.
- For industrial use only.
Automotive and transportation
Chemical and plastics industry
- Chemicals miscellaneous
- Chemicals miscellaneous
Paint, coatings and adhesives
- Pipe anticorrosion coating